Trainee Estimator - Construction - c£40k - London
This company is a large regional construction company specialising in M&E, new refurbishments and light civils. With offices throughout the country and carrying out woks on a global basis. They are now looking for a Trainee Estimator to join their team in London.
* Salary Circa £35-40k depending on qualifications/experience;
* Enrolment into company pension scheme
* 3 month probation period with performance review (annual review thereafter).
* Growth potential and progression within the company to dedicated candidate
The role itself will be working/supporting our quantity surveyors on maintenance and reconfiguration/refurbishment projects across various sectors (e.g. Education, health, defence etc.). This will involve the following:
* Assisting with the pre-construction works (PQQ and Quotation/Tender preparation);
* Working with our QS team to build and assess specifications
* Assisting with Project Programmes;
* Assisting with control throughout project lifecycle;
* Assisting with preparation of reports e.g. Progress reports;
* Assisting and liaising with the commercial team for valuations etc. To agree terms and conditions of subcontractors and incorporate within documentation to forward direct to subcontractor.
* To coordinate and manage the selection of subcontractors (working closely with the Project Managers) for tender enquiries ensuring that a balanced range is chosen capable of delivering the required price, quality and duration.
* To coordinate subcontractor tender responses and provide full comparisons of all quotes vs. the tender allowances, showing a best price, further negotiation to provide the best possible price and the buy-in of the operations team.
* To place and coordinate the placement by others of subcontractor orders to an agreed set of terms and actively participate in engaging the subcontractor in the pre-contract handover with the operations team.
* To produce or have produced valuation breakdowns in an agreed format to maximise cash flow and to keep the Accounts Department informed at all times.
* To be responsible for chasing valuations, certificates, invoices and cash from clients to hit the required cash flow targets.
* To ensure that all appropriate Certificates of Practical and Partial Completion are timely collected and utilised in releasing retentions.
* To help coordinate and produce claims for accelerations, loss and expense as required for submission when required.
* To own the project profitability whether involved directly or through a direct line report.
* Learn from our QS team on contractual issues that may arise both directly and through direct line reports.
The ideal candidate:
* A driven motivation to be trained in quantity surveying
* Working towards or completed education to Degree level, or equivalent experience
* Experience of both NEC3 and JCT forms of contract
* Excellent communicator both written and verbally
* Attention to detail
* Ability to work efficiently under pressure and meet deadlines.
* Highly organised and efficient with proven time management skills
* Holder of a Full UK Drivers License
* Confident IT skills, proficient in the use of MS Office in particular Excel
* Must be an excellent organiser with proven time management skills
* Must be flexible in hours of work and travel