We are WhiteHat, the tech startup matching young people to the best career-focused apprenticeships on offer. The vacancy you are looking at is a Studio Apprentice Apprentice role at David Miller Architects.
Looking for an apprentice to work alongside the Practice Manager and support the Practice Director in front-of-house, office management, finance, people, marketing and business development. Provide a compliant, well-organised infrastructure to support the efficient delivery of architectural projects and the ongoing wellbeing and development of team members in a safe and comfortable environment for all.
David Miller Architects (DMA) place equal value on design and delivery excellence. They have a growing reputation for developing innovative, technology-led solutions to solve tricky problems around design, program and budget.
Three A-Levels at grades A*-C (or 240 UCAS points) are preferred., A Level 3 qualification. Ideally, we are looking for recent school leavers and non-graduates for the role.
You’re not just applying for a role with this employer, you are applying to be a WhiteHat apprentice, and we will be with you every step of your apprenticeship journey.
WhiteHat specialises in bringing young people age 16+ together with top companies from around the greater London area. Our goal is to help our learners on their apprenticeship journey as they begin their career paths within the world of business.
Location: near Goodge Street station, London.
DMA are much more than an architecture practice. They have a growing reputation for developing innovative, technology-led solutions and modern methods of construction to solve complex problems around design, programme and budget.You will develop an understanding of the architectural activities. Work towards taking on responsibilities from the Practice Manager to permit business growth and personal development, with the opportunity to take ownership on a day to day basis of certain areas and to develop specialisms.
Full job description (including responsibilities)
1. Front of House & Office Management
- Be the first point of contact within the office making all visitors feel welcomed.
- Act as receptionist, field incoming telephone calls, answer the door, manage incoming and outgoing post and couriers.
- Manage the office Outlook diary for meetings and spaces.
- Coordinate with the team for setting up meetings - prepare refreshments prior and during meetings. Set up conferences and Skype calls.
- Ensure that the meeting areas and the kitchen are kept clean.
- Manage all office online ordering of supplies eg/ stationery, cleaning products etc.
- Build good working relationships with clients and other collaborators.
- Use the Supplier Questionnaire to ensure that the office selects suitably experienced firms that share the same ethos, provide the best value for money at agreed service levels.
- Input into the maintenance of the practice’s Best Practice Management System (BPMS) including the timely renewal of external certifications including ISO9001, ISO14001, Level 2BIM, Investors in People, Cyber Essentials Plus, London Healthy Workplace Charter andCHAS.
- Co-ordinate and Manage the 3 yearly Personal Reviews for all team members
- Book and attend where required training and events for the team
- Using the CMAP cloud-based project management tool, report on training undertaken and skills assessments to help staff achieve their development goals.
- Assist the Practice Manager to prepare for new starters and employees leaving.
- Assist the Practice Manager in managing and coordinating the work experience students -liaising with them beforehand, setting up their projects with the team, carrying out inductions and being a main point of contact during the week.
- Create quarterly bulletins for the team encouraging them to be involved in Health and Wellbeing activities in the area.
- Using the online reporting tool, maintain records of all Social Responsibility (SR) activities.
- Manage and coordinate staff travel.
- Assist the Practice Manager in arranging social events and team activities.
- Using the cloud-based Xero accounting system, the W: drive and CMAP, log and manage timely incoming and outgoing payments.
- Support in managing and reporting overdue payments, chasing up payments and outstanding paperwork eg/ Purchase Orders.
- Manage the petty cash system and reconcile expenses keeping internal records and Xero up to date.
- Log project expenses on CMAP and push through to Xero.
- Work with the Practice Manager and accountant on an ongoing basis to manage the timely VAT returns and payroll commitments.
- Assist with the set-up of new projects in CMAP and team queries.
- Generally, help the Practice Manager to develop further uses for CMAP software.
4. IT & Software
- Assist in coordinating and managing the office’s IT equipment and software including the logging of passwords.
- Liaise with the practice’s IT consultants and suppliers to ensure that the system runs smoothly.
5. Business Development & Marketing
- Support the team in proposals for new work by liaising with clients on briefs and clarifications through online tendering portals and logging information from sub-consultants.
- Assist with social media activities eg/ Instagram and Linked In.
- Arrange and attend external networking and promotional events to raise practice profile.
- Work with the Practice Manager to arrange and manage events eg/ Christmas/Summer parties.
Hours are 9 am to 6 pm, Mon-Fri.
Training and future prospects
Qualification will be either an Advanced level 3 or Higher Level 4.Apprenticeship training will be delivered by David Miller Architects.
A full-time opportunity may be available if the candidate excels in the role.
- High level of general computer literacy with Microsoft office software.
- You’ll develop with training competency with key office platforms Xero and CMAP.
- Sound knowledge of social media.
- Strong verbal and written communication and numeracy skills.
- You’ll develop an understanding of the practice’s work, the architectural workflow and client base. Also a general understanding of the industry and key sectors.
- Project management skills and the ability to take ownership of projects and see them through to completion with an attention to detail.
- Enthusiastic and outgoing.
- Confident in meeting new people.
- Dressed professionally in keeping with the style of the office.
- Able to manage and work with others collaboratively as part of a team to consistently achieve multiple and concurrent deadlines.
- Able to work autonomously, take ownership of a project and see it through to completion.
- Able to manage own time and priorities flexibly to respond to changing requirements.
- Thorough with attention to detail.
- Ability to research and make recommendations based on comparative analysis
- Good problem-solving skills and an ability to take initiative.
- Have an open, collaborative and respectful approach in all aspects of work and dealings with others.
- Trustworthy and able to deal with confidential matters.
- Care about people and the built environment.