We are WhiteHat, the tech startup matching young people to the best career-focused apprenticeships on offer. The vacancy you are looking at is a Software Engineering Apprentice role at Expedia Inc
In partnership with WhiteHat and Ada, the National College for Digital Skills, Expedia is offering Higher Level Apprenticeships in Digital and Technology Solutions for people interested in broadening their skills and pursuing a career in software development.
Voted number 1 best place to work in the UK, by Glass Door.
Expedia, Inc. is one of the world’s leading travel companies, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes some of the world’s most trusted online travel brands e.g hotels.com, trivago. Expedia revolutionizes travel through the power of technology.
- 5 GCSES, A*-C or the new grades 4-9, including Maths & English Language (or equivalent) and educated at the minimum of Level 3 e.g.A-Levels, BTEC, NVQ (or equivalent).
- Right to work: Candidates must have the right to work in the United Kingdom and must have been a resident in an EU country for the past 3 years.
- Ideally, we are looking for recent school leavers and non-graduates for the role.
You’re not just applying for a role with this employer, you are applying to be a WhiteHat apprentice, and we will be with you every step of your apprenticeship journey.
WhiteHat specialises in bringing young people age 16+ together with top companies from around the greater London area. Our goal is to help our learners on their apprenticeship journey as they begin their career paths within the world of business.
Expedia’s mission is to revolutionise travel through the power of technology. Put your software in front of millions of travellers across more than 30 countries worldwide! From the back-end supply and database functions to new user-interfaces for more than 140 branded travel sites and apps, there is no shortage of technical innovation.
- As an Apprentice Developer at Hotels.com, you will work within an agile team developing technology that powers travel for millions of people every month. The Digital and Technology Solutions apprenticeship is a 2-3 year programme which combines academic study at our training provider, Ada College, with hands-on learning experience, working towards a Foundation/BSc degree in Digital Innovation.
- You will gain exposure to various technologies and teams, acquiring technical and business skills along the way. In this role, you will contribute code, tests, and teamwork, either to Hotels.com’s iOS apps or on the Platform that powers our site and continuous delivery pipeline.As an iOS apprentice, you will be involved in all aspects of Expedia’s apps, from Core Data to Collection Views, actively participating in the agile processes that drive their workflow.
As an apprentice within the Platform teams, you will work with services such as AWS, and technologies including Kubernetes. Expedia is continuously improving and will expect you to do the same.
You will be:
- Learning on the job to participate in projects, implementing and executing technical requirements using agile development methodologies
- A valued team member in a continuously improving environment
- Collaborating with your team to design and build solutions and features, you will be directly involved in delivering software solutions to business partners, in addition to investigating and resolving software issues
- You won’t be thrown in at the deep end: there will be an 8-week induction with Ada, The National College for Digital Skills, based in Tottenham Hale. You will be assigned a mentor and buddy throughout the programme. You will also have time out of the office to study
What we’re looking for in you:
- A real passion for technology
- You learn new concepts quickly. You are keen to learn and share knowledge with others
- You’re a teammate with phenomenal interpersonal skills and passionate about working with a diverse team
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and keen to achieve. You will need to balance time in the office whilst studying
- You are outstanding at problem-solving. You find simple and practical solutions to complex problems
Location: London, in our awesome offices in Angel
Start Date: May 2018
Application deadline: 13th April
Why start your career in Technology at Expedia?
- You will gain a debt-free degree, whilst earning a salary and gaining practical work experience
- We work hard to craft an encouraging, collaborative, and fulfilling place where you can progress your career
- We combine a start-up feel with global scale and global opportunities
- We are social. We love catching up at company breakfasts, evening drinks, and off-site events
- We get to do all of this in a super nice office in central London
- Our tech stack is awesome and keeps up with the recent innovations in the industry
- We live and breathe open source; we utilize open source technologies and we contribute
- We define the questions, not the answers, for an industry-changing every single day
Training and future prospects
- The Digital and Technology Solutions apprenticeship is a 2-3 year programme which combines academic study at our training provider, Ada College, with hands-on learning experience, working towards a Foundation/BSc degree in Digital Innovation.
- There will be an 8-week induction with Ada, The National College for Digital Skills, based in Tottenham Hale. You will be assigned a mentor and buddy throughout the programme. You will also have time out of the office to study.
- Why start your career in Technology at Expedia?
You will gain a debt-free degree, whilst earning a salary and gaining practical work experience.
- A full-time opportunity may be available if the candidate excels in the role.
- Demonstrated interest and prior experience in programming, either in an OOP programming language such as Java/Python or in Swift/Objective-C (with some experience writing apps for iOS, macOS, tvOS or watchOS.)
- Problem-solving ability