Amazon offers a range of opportunities to suit candidates with different backgrounds, qualifications and career aspirations. That is why we believe it is the perfect place to learn new skills. Our Software Teams are crucial in ensuring that we continue to deliver and innovate for customers. We have big plans and want to continue to develop and retain the best talent. Amazon apprenticeship schemes are aimed at people who have a passion for learning and want to start a career now – or possibly retrain in a new direction.
To be successful you will need to be committed to your own development and be prepared to make the most of the opportunities, hands on experience and qualifications given to you.
Software Developer Engineer (SDE) apprenticeship
Our SDE Apprentices will work with cutting-edge technology, our Software Developers develop critical products for our customers, and offer excellent technical support. Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own systems end-to-end, and influence the direction of our technology that delights hundreds of millions of customers around the world. As an SDE Apprentice, you will be on a 48 month fixed term contract and you will have the opportunity to work in our London corporate office.
You will build your skills over a 48 month period - starting in September that will include:
· Classroom based training hosted offsite,
· Amazon’s on-the-job training program, delivered by our specialist teams,
· Mentoring from our Software developers.
Alongside extensive development of your technical skills, you will also grow your abilities in crucial complementary areas like organization, prioritization, data analysis and problem solving techniques, teamwork, communication, and presentation skills.
There are a number of learning knowledge modules teaching advanced theory and its practical application. These could be taught online, and/or supported by classroom training workshops, which will be held at a local training centre or university depending on location.
During your scheme you will be introduced to the fundamental technical skills you need to become a successful Amazon SDE employee by attending offsite workshop modules which will support you to achieve the standard:
IN your first year you will cover modules and learning such as ;
· Advanced Java
· Test Driven development
· Web applications development
· Maths ad Algorithms
· Systems development
· Data communications and network security
On successful completion of Year 1 (15-18 months) you will further specialize in software development and work towards a BA Hons in digital and technology solutions professional degree. By specializing in Software you should be able to design, build and test high-quality software solutions. You will be aiming to apply engineering principles to all stages of the software development process, from requirements, analysis and design, development and data requirements
Not only will you receive invaluable learning, development and professional experience, you will also gain a BSC in Digital and Technology Solutions Professional
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
· For the apprenticeship program we prioritize applicants eligible to government funding for their apprenticeship and for this you need to:
- Have you lived in the UK or in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 years
- Not be registered to study on a UK government funded course ending August 2019 or later
· You will be 18 years old or older before the contract’s start date,
· You will already have coding experience either certified or self-taught,
· You have a deep interest in IT and strong willingness to learn,
· You are able to read, understand and communicate in English,
· You can follow a list of guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines,
· You have a hands-on attitude, flexible, adaptable and proactive,
· You seek - and respond well to - feedback,
· You aim to attain impeccable customer service, excellent customer facing skills.
· 3 A levels in a similar subject
· Or a Level 3 apprenticeship in a similar subject
· Or an International Baccalaureate at Level 3 in a similar subject
· Or a BTEC Extended Diploma in a similar subject (180 credits)
· You must not hold an existing qualification at the same or higher level than this apprenticeship in a similar subject.
These will be a plus for your career at Amazon but are not necessary to enter the program.
· You are able to operate in a challenging and fast paced environment,
· You are able to demonstrate drive and passion,
· An additional language
· The desire to relocate to fulfil your career aspirations