We are looking for an ambitious Social Media Apprentice to join our award-winning Marketing and Communications unit here at The Open University. Reporting into our Social Media Engagement Team, part of External Communications, this new role sits at the heart of our unit and in it you will gain oversight and understanding of an integrated Marketing and Communications team and play an important part in its ongoing success.
The Open University is the UK’s largest university, a world leader in delivering flexible online education combining a mission to widen access to higher education with research excellence. We transform lives through education. This role ultimately helps people from all walks of life to realise their ambitions – while enabling you to achieve yours.
Main responsibilities in this role are:
- Your primary responsibility will be to work with a Social Media Manager(s) to:
- Create, curate and publish multimedia content across a range of social media channels to help tell the OU story to multiple audiences.
- Use research and social media data and analytics tools to help inform content strategy and campaigns that work across multiple channels, including evaluation.
- Support students and prospective students through community management and social listening.
- Play an active role in planning content, updating content calendars and contributing to integrated campaigns.
- Update the university’s social media toolkit.
You will be encouraged to:
- Proactively arrange and contribute to meetings to review and understand briefs, communicate progress against requirements and deliver your findings.
- Build and develop positive relationships with key stakeholders and seek opportunities to understand their priorities and utilise the insights you have to add value.
- Excellent copywriting skills and command of the English language – can find and tell the story.
- Ability to work with social media data and identify patterns or trends
- Ability to create multimedia content
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience of managing a project with deadlines.
- Demonstrable experience in learning new skills.
- A lateral thinker with strong communication skills
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office.
- Broad understanding of the social media landscape and content creation
- ‘Can do’ approach, with a proactive, inquisitive mind-set; energetic and committed.
- Can demonstrate the ability to ‘translate’ and communicate to people of all levels and backgrounds.
- Self-reliant and dedicated approach to duties and an ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to set objectives and deliver ‘beyond the brief’.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Able to demonstrate excellent, written and oral presentation skills
- Team player
37 hours per week, Monday to Friday with the role based in Milton Keynes at The Open University campus : Walton Hall, Kents Hill, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA