Production Operator Apprentice - Level 2 NVQ
Full Time / Permanent
Do you want to work for a company who
- cares for its employees & customers in equal measure
- is serious about sustainability & the environmental impact of its products & processes
- can provide a long-term future & personal development for those who aspire
If yes, then read on to find out more about the job on offer at Smurfit Kappa
Who are we
We are a market-leading manufacturer of sustainable paper-based packaging. We care deeply about the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, the communities in which we operate, and the service provided to our customers.
We have an incredibly loyal and capable workforce who we invest time in developing and encourage to reach their full potential; and you too could become a valued member of our 'family'.
We strive to create a fully inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds are free to be themselves and succeed. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences and welcome applications from all communities.
- A Disability Confident Employer and guarantee an interview to candidates who meet our essential criteria.
- Open to considering flexible working, such as part-time hours, hybrid working and other flexible options.
- Happy to offer a wide range of Family Friendly policies including emergency time off for dependants and to provide generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave provisions for our valued colleagues.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Production Operator Apprentice within the Corrugator Department.
The corrugator machine provides sheetboard for converting into boxes. It uses the scientific process of bonding paper together using glue and heat to create a product ready for printing, cutting and folding. The process starts with paper being heated and then bonded with glue in the correct conditions to create the product needed to pass to our converting department.
Reporting to the Corrugator Team Leader and Manager, the main purpose of this role is to gain knowledge and become efficient in all aspects of the Corrugator process and operation of the machine.
The Production Operator Apprentice will learn all aspects of the corrugator from paper and starch inputs to finished product throughout the full process of the corrugator production line.
This is a two year apprenticeship supported by formal training. Minimum age for applications is 18 years.
The main duties of the role will include:-
- Learn and develop behaviours that drive a health and safety culture to create a healthy and risk free working environment.
- Involvement in projects.
- Be responsible for the quality produced during your shift. Report any deviations.
- Use OMP comment to communicate any issues, for example shorts, waste.
- Meet the production targets as communicated with the respective Area Owners.
- Use and own visual and interactive Corrugator performance communication board for shift/daily/weekly use.
- Learn and develop core behaviours.
- Ensure compliance to policies, rules and procedures.
- Work with internal mentors and external trainers to meet the assessment criteria of the Lean Manufacturing Operative Level 2 NVQ on time and to the required standard.
- Commit to personal and team development through application of the Performance Development Plan.
- Provide up to date high standard and accurate records of your work throughout the programme which will be subject for review and assessment.
- Good aptitude for problem solving.
- Good timekeeping.
- Numerate and literate.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills and willingness to embrace new technology.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Ability to problem solve using logical thinking and methods.
- Able to demonstrate good awareness of health and safety policies and procedures and to behave in a way that is consistent with these.
- Ability to act on own initiative and make suggestions.
What's on offer
- 25 days annual leave (plus 8 statutory) as standard
- Contributory pension scheme (plus ad hoc access to independent financial advice)
- Training & development
- Free on site parking
- Employee Assistance - 24/7 free & confidential support to both you and your family
- Access to on site mental health and wellbeing support
- Regular health assessments (role dependent)
- Cycle to work scheme
Interviews will take place March 2024 with expected start date April 2024.