British Sugar is a home-grown success story and one of the most efficient and competitive beet processers in the world. Around 3,500 farmers based in East Anglia and the East Midlands supply our four advanced manufacturing sites with eight million tonnes of sugar beet every year. We, in turn, make this in to over 1 million tonnes of sugar, serving customers across the UK, Ireland and increasingly growing commercially in the EU and world sugar markets.
In this apprenticeship, you will follow a Process Engineering pathway, learning the science behind how we make sugar by operating and monitoring our chemical manufacturing process on an industrial scale. You will learn our unique process of producing refined sugar from sugar beet by using heat, cooling, pressure or a chemical/biochemical agent into an end product. You will also assist in the installation operation, planned preventative maintenance and repair of machinery such as pumps, turbines or compressors.
A 30-month learning programme, following the Science Manufacturing Technician Standard, achieving a Level 3 Process Technology qualification and all the practical experience alongside, to be ready to move into a Process Technician role. This is an exciting opportunity if you are career-minded with an interest in Science & Engineering and looking for a role being hands-on with industrial equipment and using the latest process control and computer automation technology.
Working from our Bury St Edmunds, Cantley, Newark or Wissington factory sites, on a 12-hour shift pattern of 4 days at work and then 4 days not at work. This includes working some weekends and bank holidays.
This scheme gives you the opportunity to:
- Learn how the key operational functions Extraction, Refinery, Pulp Management, Energy, Co-Products and Customer Supply work within our factories.
- Gain a solid knowledge of our processes and equipment.
- Understand our systems and procedures to work safely and efficiently.
- Develop behavioural skills to be a great team member.
What will you need?
- Be aged 18 and over as at 1 September 2024 for this shift based role
- Be living and eligible to work in the UK
- Have achieved or predicted a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Level 4/C which must include Maths, English and a Science
- Live our values of staying safe, drive to action, working together, respecting each other and being open and flexible
Closing Date: 29th March 2024
British Sugar is committed to creating an environment where everyone can thrive, within a culture of inclusion; a culture that empowers and respects everyone.