London Underground Telecoms Engineer Apprentice
Location; Pirin Court, field based across London
Qualification; Level 3, Rail Engineering Technician
Starting salary 16,000
When you join one of Telent's Apprenticeship Programmes you will be working as part of a company that effects the everyday lives of people across the UK and Ireland. With our diverse portfolio of projects and areas of specialities, we offer a range of apprenticeships to suit different types of learners. You will have the opportunity to grow, develop and learn from professionals whilst building your career with Telent and gaining industry leading qualifications. We rely on our Early Careers Talent to become our leaders of the future, so its vitally important for us to find the individuals with passion and potential to achieve together. Join Telent and be part of something bigger.
As an Engineering apprentice, you will carry out maintenance activities on communications systems whilst ensuring effective restoration/repair of customer systems under supervision. You will work as part of the wider team working across the prestigious London Underground network and Train Operating Company contracts.
You will rotate around the various departments of the Metro business allowing you to work in a variety of teams and learn how each department works together to achieve the end objective. You will work on an integral piece of infrastructure that keeps London moving and carry out tasks under supervision. The successful applicant will learn how to repair and restore service tasks across the range of the client assets under contract. Perform installation and commissioning tasks in accordance with H&S and London Underground and Network Rail procedures.
What you'll do:
- Carry out maintenance activities on communication systems throughout the infrastructure
- Install & commission on site equipment in line with the various contract requirements
- Work various shift patterns including nights and weekends
- Learn and master the health & safety requirements of the role and understand the importance of them
- Test & commission a vast array of products across multiple technologies
- Unload, check, handle, store and prepare all the equipment
- Work in a multitude of environments from stations to trackside
- Work as part of a team or work alone
- Learn the requirements of the different customers and contracts and how to fulfil those needs
- Become part of a wide and multi-skilled field force
- Own problems and take the responsibility of solving them
- Proactively support Telent and recognise when colleagues need help
- Maintain personal contact with other members of the team, Duty managers, Service Centre personnel, Lead Engineer, Site Person in charge, stores personnel etc.
- Maintain contact with all departments as required
- Work to the directions of the Training / Departmental Managers
- Work outside in all weathers both day and night
- Work in inaccessible places in dangerous, safety critical environments
- Complete work Experience logbooks - to be produced and communicated on a Friday
- Wear the correct and required image clothing at all times
- Must adhere to Transport at Work Act with particular attention to the Drugs and Alcohol Policy
Who you are & what to prepare for:
- This role involves working at heights, working outdoors, both day and night work and travelling and working across London
- This is a hands-on and practical role
- The "Hub" for this role will be the Telent office situated at Pirin Court
- We don't require individuals with experience as we will provide full training in all aspects of the role from how to use tools/equipment to working at heights to ensuring safe working practises. We are looking for candidates with the right attitude, commitment, and desire to learn.
- You will get a mobile phone, laptop, personal protective equipment as part of the role
- Although supported throughout the programme by us at Telent you will need to take ownership of your tasks and personal development
- Client and customer service is critical to the services we provide customers.
- You will need to have strong planning and organisation skills
- Communication is vital; you will need to be an effective communicator both in writing and verbally
- Minimum of 5 GCSE's Grade 4 or higher (or equivalent qualification). This must include Maths, English and a Science or IT based subject.
- Must be eligible to work in the UK.
- Full UK Driving licence will have to be gained by Completion of the programme
- Must be over the age of 18 by September 2024.
- Able to adhere to our Drugs & Alcohol policy and pass a pre-employment Drugs & Alcohol assessment
- This apprenticeship is typically 36 months in duration
- Starting salary of 16,000 which will increase throughout the duration of the programme.
- The qualification you gain will be a Level 3 Rail Technician
- Our chosen training provider Barking & Dagenham College will support you in obtaining your qualification
- You will be predominantly field based with both office and college visits as required throughout the programme
- On completion of your apprenticeship, we hope to offer you a full-time position with Telent where you can continue to pursue your career
What we offer:
A career at Telent can span sectors, roles, technologies, and customers giving you the opportunity to develop, learn new skills and make an impact. We are growing and we rely on our committed Team to deliver.
We nurture the talent that makes this happen, by our on-going commitment to creating an inclusive culture that respects and values difference, that celebrates diverse ideas. We want everyone to feel they can be themselves and to thrive at work.
The additional benefits with this role:
- 34 days holiday, plus the option to buy or sell five days each year
- Company pension scheme
- A range of family friendly policies
- Occupational health support and wellbeing Portal
- Discounts on Cinema, Restaurants and Shopping with Telent Reward scheme
Telent is a leading technology company and specialist in the design, build, support and maintenance, drawing on decades of experience in mission critical communications and technology. of the UK's critical digital infrastructure. The work we do helps connect thousands of people and communities, using the best technology and innovation available. When you join us, you'll have the opportunity to make a real impact on all our futures by fulfilling your potential and delivering high performance. We work together to make everyday life work better for everyone. You'll be part of a team of more than 3,000 brilliant, dedicated people committed to getting the job done well.
Brilliance brought together.
We are guided by our values and behaviours:
- Be Inclusive
- Take Responsibility
- Be Customer-focussed