Learn As You Earn – Life changing careers with Amazon Apprenticeships
A qualification and a career at the same time? That’s a bit like having your cake and eating it, right? But it really doesn’t have to be one or the other. Learning and earning within an apprenticeship means you get both – a qualification and a career.
Amazon offers a range of opportunities to suit candidates with different backgrounds, qualifications and career aspirations. That is why we believe it is the perfect place to learn new skills.
Our European Operations Teams are crucial in ensuring that we continue to deliver and innovate for customers. We have big plans and want to continue to develop and retain the best talent.
Amazon apprenticeship schemes are aimed at people who have a passion for learning and want to start a career now – or possibly retrain in a new direction.
To be successful you will need to be committed to your own development and be prepared to make the most of the opportunities, hands on experience and qualifications given to you.
Operations – Safety, Health, Environmental Technician Level 3 apprenticeship
Year-on-year, as we continue to grow, we need to work as smart as we can, to keep all our team members safe, fulfilled, motivated and empowered. To help us achieve this, we’re seeking individuals to join our Health & Safety Apprenticeship programme. The apprenticeship is the equivalent to completing NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or IOSH Level 3 Certificate in Safety and Health for Business. All learning will be delivered over an 18 month period in bite sized chunks, module by module using a blended learning approach where you will be taught the knowledge elements and apply them in the workplace. You will undertake real work based projects that will reinforce your learning and that will have a demonstrable safety, health or environmental benefit in your site.
Our Fulfilment Centres are at the heart of Amazon’s rapidly growing business: they’re where we manage our fast-moving inventory. Our associate teams stow deliveries, pick products, package them up and ship them out: each of these groups have played their part in taking us where we are today.
In this crucial health and safety position, you’ll report into the Health and Safety Manager, as part of a shift-based role.
Here is what you will learn and do day-to-day:
• Undertake risk assessments as required, while proactively following up on control measures until complete
• Complete daily metrics and callouts
• Take a Deep Dive into Fulfilment Centre data, as you monitor recordable incidents on-site
• Become a subject matter expert in your specific level of competence, while staying vigilant and not disclosing any sensitive information outside of your particular level
• Consistently monitor your Fulfilment Centre, keeping an eye on compliance with Amazon’s safety procedures
• Investigate accidents, near misses and any incidents, as you establish root cause
• Update internal records regarding incidents, near misses and accidents
• Undertake action plans to ensure continuing, sustained compliance with legislation
• Conduct yourself professionally at all times: you maintain confidentiality in matters involving safety investigations
• Flexibility: you’re willing and able to cover non-traditional shifts–including nights and weekends–during peak periods.
Successful completion of this apprenticeship could lead to a permanent position in our operations team and from there a range opportunities will be available including supervisory and management roles across Amazon in the UK and abroad.
· For the apprenticeship program we prioritize applicants eligible to government funding for their apprenticeship and for this you need to:
- Have lived in the UK or in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 years,
- Be a resident of the UK for the entire duration of the program,
- If you already have a higher degree, or are studying towards a higher degree, in the same field or a related one, you will not be eligible to this apprenticeship.
- Not be registered to study on a UK government funded course ending August 2021 or later.
· You will be 18 years old or older before the contract’s start date,
· You will have achieved 4 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grade A – C (4-9) including English and Maths
If you have received educational qualifications outside of the UK then we will require a Statement of Comparability to confirm your eligibility for the scheme. Please ensure you obtain one during the application process, through UK NARIC: https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/
· You are able to read, understand and communicate in English, interact and engage comfortably with people at all levels of the business,
· You can follow a list of guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines,
· You have a hands-on attitude, be flexible, adaptable and proactive,
· You aim to attain impeccable customer service and excellent customer facing skills,
· You seek and respond well to feedback
· You have flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
These will be a plus for your career at Amazon but are not necessary to enter the programme.
· You have previous experience of working in a Health & Safety role
· You have Health & Safety qualifications up to Level 3
· You are able to operate in a challenging and fast paced environment,
· You are able to demonstrate drive and passion.