British Sugar is a home-grown success story and one of the most efficient and competitive beet processers in the world. Around 3,500 farmers based in East Anglia and the East Midlands supply our four advanced manufacturing sites with eight million tonnes of sugar beet every year. We, in turn, make this in to over 1 million tonnes of sugar, serving customers across the UK, Ireland and increasingly growing commercially in the EU and world sugar markets.
In this apprenticeship, you will follow an Engineering Design and Draughtsperson pathway, learning the science behind how we produce sugar and how we produce designs and drawings for our projects, structures, piping and engineering components.
A 48-month programme, following the Engineering Design and Draughtsperson Standard, achieving a Level 3 Draughtsperson qualification and all the practical experience to be ready to move into a Project Draughtsperson role. We will need you to continue your education after this initial scheme by completing additional relevant qualifications.
Working from our Bury St Edmunds or Wissington factory sites, 5-days a week, Monday-Friday for 8 hours each day and attending college 1 day per week.
The scheme gives you the opportunity to:
- Learn how to review and interpret technical information and requirements from different sources including specifications and concepts.
- Identify and assess factors that affect designs including materials, application, location and risk and environment.
- Design engineering concepts to solve engineering challenges.
- Evaluate engineering designs to determine the most effective solution.
- Produce detailed engineering drawings to relevant standards and codes, using paper and computer.
- Develop and install plant and equipment projects.
- Develop behavioural skills to be a great team member.
What will you need?
- Be aged 16 and over
- Be living and eligible to work in the UK
- Have achieved or predicted a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Level 4/C which must include Maths (preferably Level 5), English and a Science or a technical subject
- To be able to travel to attend college 1 day a week
- Live our values of staying safe, drive to action, working together, respecting each other and being open and flexible
Application Closing Date: 29th March 2024
British Sugar is committed to creating an environment where everyone can thrive, within a culture of inclusion; a culture that empowers and respects everyone.