We are a leading manufacturer of convenience food in the UK and our purpose is to make everyday taste better.
We're a vibrant, fast-paced, leading food manufacturer, employing 14,000 colleagues across 16 world-class manufacturing sites and 18 distribution depots across the UK.
We supply all the major supermarkets in the UK. We also supply convenience and travel retail outlets, discounters, coffee shops, foodservice and other retailers. We have strong market positions in a range of categories including sandwiches, salads, sushi, chilled snacking, chilled ready meals, chilled soups and sauces, chilled quiche, ambient sauces and pickles, and frozen Yorkshire Puddings.
We're looking for our next generation of maintenance engineer apprentices to develop and grow a career with Greencore. You will provide engineering support to our many sites while developing your skills.
Join us and be part of our great team, committed to making everyday taste better. What you'll be doing
You'll complete the Level 3 Food and Drink Maintenance Engineer Apprenticeship in partnership with one of our trusted training providers, this 4-year apprenticeship programme will align your studies at college to real work to become an integral part of our engineering team. At the end of the programme, you will be supported to transition into a role that is aligned to your future career goals.
Our Engineering Apprenticeships provide a blend of on and off the job learning, exposure, experience and education so that you can develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours to kickstart your career and therefore, will be required to spend most of your time working within a fast-paced food manufacturing environment!
You'll attend frequent study blocks with the training provider, to support you to build the knowledge required to build you skills back at site. By the end of the apprenticeship, you will be able to:
What we're looking for
- Ensure food safety in line with food safety legislation, health and safety, environmental, sustainability, and engineering regulations and standards.
- Maintain food and drink machinery and equipment to meet and optimise production levels
- Undertake planned, predicted, and reactive maintenance to ensure that the operation runs effectively
- Support operational teams with machinery change overs and set ups
- Contribute to technical performance reviews and continuous improvement activities, as well as audits.
We are looking for you to have a passion for engineering, food, and people. You will also be:
- Highly motivated to grow your career, studying alongside doing a demanding day job
- Curious, organised and able to use your excellent communication skills to build effective relationships with a range of people
- Confident, take pride in your work with integrity and good time-management skills
- Pragmatic, with excellent practical skills and problem-solving ability
- Driven, with strong attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
To join the apprenticeship, you will need:
- GCSE Grade 5 in Maths and in English (or equivalent)
- Strong IT skills
- The right to live and work in the UK
Please note, if you have previous experience as an engineer or engineering qualifications at Level 3 or above, you may not be eligible for the programme.
Our operation is 24/7 so you will be required to work shifts. These will vary depending on site and could include early starts from 5am, rotating night shifts and weekends.
As part of the programme, you will attend fifteen study blocks of three weeks, with the majority of these taking place during the first two years of the scheme, . You will need to be willing to travel and stay away from home to attendance college study blocks and development events or visits to other sites.
As part of the screening process for our apprenticeships programme we work in conjunction with our training providers to assess your suitability and eligibility for the programme. In this case, we will need to send some of your personal information to our third-party training providers. What you'll get in return
Not only will you a fully funded apprenticeship alongside experience in one of our sites, you will also have access to our Greencore colleague benefits including:
Time to meet the learning requirements of your apprenticeship
Dedicated support, coaching and mentoring to support your career development
Travel and accommodation expenses when attending college
Competitive salary and job-related benefits
Pension up to 8% matched
Access to Greencore qualifications
Company share save scheme
Exclusive Greencore employee discount platform
Applications are due to close on 2nd April 2024, however if there are high volumes of applications, we may close early.
Our first stage virtual assessment process will take place between Tuesday 16th - Thursday 18th April 2024.
Induction and enrolment for this role and the apprenticeship will take place in August and September.