We are WhiteHat, the tech startup matching young people to the best career-focused apprenticeships on offer. The vacancy you are looking at is Commercial Apprentice role at UKTV Media.
UKTV is a vibrant and fun place to work and the Commercial department is responsible for the development & growth of UKTV’s current & future facing revenue streams; negotiating carriage agreements with businesses such as Sky, Virgin Media, BT, Talk Talk, YouView, Vodafone and Amazon. You will working within the team to help identify & implement a wide variety of business development initiatives.
- UKTV is a commercial broadcaster reaching over 40m viewers every month.
- The award-winning independent has eleven imaginative brands - UKTV Play, Dave, W, Gold, Alibi, Yesterday,Drama, Really, Home, Eden and Good Food. These include the two most popular non-PSB channels in the UKand account for nearly 10% of the British commercial TV market.
- The network delivers inspired channels to audiences through Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, YouView, Freesat, Amazon Fire and UKTV Play, and distributes its highly valued original programmes to 200 territories.
- Three A-Levels at grades A*-C (or 240 UCAS points) are preferred.
- Five GCSE grades C – A* (or 4-9), including Maths and English.
- You will also have good knowledge of IT, including all Microsoft packages, Google doc/sheets, A Level 3 qualification.
- Ideally, we are looking for recent school leavers and non-graduates for the role.
You’re not just applying for a role with this employer, you are applying to be a WhiteHat apprentice, and we will be with you every step of your apprenticeship journey.
WhiteHat specialises in bringing young people age 16+ together with top companies from around the greater London area. Our goal is to help our learners on their apprenticeship journey as they begin their career paths within the world of business.
Location: near Hammersmith station, London.
As well as the account management of our linear and non-linear platform partnerships, the Commercial team are also responsible for the international programme sales, the development of a future facing pipeline of new business innovation, and the overall management of UKTV’s Video on Demand business.
Full job description (including responsibilities)
- Provide diary & admin support to 2/3 Directors within Commercial department leadership team, with additional support to their teams. Including, but not limited to: organising meetings, including room bookings, circulating agendas, note taking, meeting & greeting all visitors and arranging travel where necessary
- Assisting the EA to the CCO with general team administration, Commercial events & away days and ad hoc projects as required
- Organising confidential information and helping to co-ordinate the time & resource of the Snr Commercial team
- Beyond administrative support, this role requires a proactive approach to tackle any task necessary to ensure and assist the smooth running of the department
- Take initiative within the PA group at UKTV and be willing to cover for different departments where necessary & appropriate
- To live and embrace UKTV’s values: CLICC - Create, Learn, Influence, Challenge, Collaborate.
- Complexity & Problem Solving:
- Uses initiative to identify innovative and creative solutions to departmental organisational challenges
- Manages multiple projects concurrently requiring excellent organisation
- To maintain a professional level of support and a willingness to assist the smooth running of the entire team
- To harness team spirit across UKTV and collaborate with colleagues across the business to deliver successful programmes
- To promote and display trust to develop and maintain external relationships with offices of broadcasters, pay TV platform providers and other partner businesses
- To take a savvy approach making the most of UKTV’s resources
-Business Impact / Strategic Responsibility:
- Has an understanding of UKTV’s strategy and how the role and department contributes to it
- Has an indirect impact on commercial performance and revenue performance.
Hours are 9 am to 6 pm, Monday-Friday.
Training and future prospects
Business Administration Advanced Standard, 18 months.
- As part of your WhiteHat Apprenticeship, you will have access to our Future Leaders Foundation modules to develop 6 key competencies, underpinned by well-being, self-awareness, motivation, conscientiousness, effectiveness, grit.
A full-time opportunity may be available if the candidate excels in the role. A higher level apprenticeship available following successful completion of the initial apprenticeship, with WhiteHat.
- Self-starter who can use own initiative, is also pro-active and organised with strong interpersonal skills and excellent attention to detail
- Experience of being exposed to sensitive and confidential information, with the ability to inspire trust and act discreetly and in confidence.
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and comfortable in a dynamic environment with constantly changing priorities
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Be a problem solver
- Able to confidently interact with colleagues at all levels
- Able to confidently interact with key external suppliers
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Effective time management and organisational skills with the ability to judge when further reference is necessary
- Be intermediate/advanced level user of MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), including a particular familiarity with Outlook for calendar duties.
- A positive attitude and ability to work harmoniously across various teams
- An interest in or a willingness to learn about the creative industries
- A genuine passion for TV and willingness to get stuck in!