The MGL Group of Companies operate throughout the UK in a wide range of business sectors and provide a comprehensive range of services within the Construction Industry. We are a family owned business with a strong focus on company values and to work hard as a team to create a great place for everyone to work. At MGL every member of our Team is valued for the part they play in the company's overall success.
About the Role
To assist and provide support to the experienced Estimating team with the day to day management of the department in relation to tendering for and winning new contracts. This will involve working towards submission, co-ordination and management of tenders and meeting tight deadlines in all relevant activities.
Day to day tasks will involve assisting with take offs of site plans/drawings and specifications, cost, schedule, assumptions and exclusions for tender proposals.
We are ideally seeking someone with previous experience in Estimating or Quantity Surveying in the Construction and Civils Industry, as a trainee or assistant.
- Monitor potential incoming enquiries
- Check, acknowledge and review tender documents and distribute to appropriate parties
- Prepare and send out sub-contract and material enquiries using enquiry system
- Where required produce accurate take-off
- Maintain up-to-date market knowledge of labour, plant, materials and sub-contractors
- Manage, as directed, enquiries for labour, plant, materials and sub-contractors
- Price bills/schedules analytically and produce quote comparisons using causeway estimating software
- Complete tender pricing for adjudication by the Senior Estimator, including reporting on any risks or onerous conditions, providing a winning edge
- On secured projects prepare information for handover to the contract team
- Assist in developing company estimating library
- Answer queries from supply chain
- Attend site visits, obtain feedback and prepare any reports as necessary
- Liaise with other members of the bid team (Senior Estimators, Planners, Contracts Managers, Bid Team) during the compilation of the tender.
What we are looking for - Ideal Candidate
- Must have worked in a similar environment as Assistant or Trainee Estimator ideally or QS in a previous role
- Experience working within a Civils/Groundworks environment
- Use of estimating software in a previous role ideally Causeway advantageous
- Training on in-house estimating software packages will be provided but you will need to be IT literate with good knowledge of Office 365, Microsoft Word, Excel etc .
- We will consider all candidates and whilst a formal qualification is not essential, the role is suitable to those who have completed a Higher Education qualification in a construction-related subject HNC, HND, and Degree or other equivalent industry-recognised qualification.
- We will however consider candidates with a practical background with experience pricing up works including take offs, managing budgets and costs who has a sound understanding of the civils process, construction materials and health and safety.
- The ability to thrive in pressure situations and work on own initiative when required but know when to seek assistance as required
- Excellent organisation, communication and time management skills
- You will be thorough, be good with numbers and pay attention to detail
- You will work well with others, accept criticism well and work well under pressure
- You will be career driven, resilient and have a strong work ethic
- You will be a hands-on, enthusiastic individual who will be involved and invested in the company's long-term future and success
About the Job
A competitive salary and benefits will be offered to the successful candidate.
Strong career development & progression with comprehensive training and support.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. If you are interested in the above position, please forward your current CV and relevant qualifications.
MGL Group fully supports Equality in Employment. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit and business need.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE.