At United Utilities we're proud to be essential every day, and our people are essential too.
If you join us on our apprenticeship scheme you'll be given the training and development to take that first step onto the career ladder, supported by the United Utilities family.
What makes us different?
- Secure your future every apprentice is guaranteed a permanent position at the end of their scheme*;
- It's a springboard to your career we provide you with structured training, a dedicated mentor and quality placements to help you shape your career; and
- Inspire the next generation you'll have the opportunity to represent United Utilities at key events across the region engaging with young people to bring careers in the water industry to life.
A bit more about the role
As a scientist, you'll learn key scientific skills, ensuring that the water that comes out of the tap is of the highest quality.
No two days are the same in our science department. Our talented team are always on the go as they work to ensure that the water that reaches customers is always of the same high standard.
As a science apprentice, you'll have the chance to join the team and learn key scientific skills, while studying and working towards a rewarding career in the water industry.
During the three year apprenticeship, you'll have the chance to get to grips with lots of different systems and activities that take place in our science department, including Ion Chromatography, Colorimetry and Spectrometry.
Successful apprentices will achieve a Laboratory Technician Standard which will incorporate a level 3 or 4 qualification in a science or technology discipline relevant to their occupation, which is recognised for professional registration by RsciTech and endorsed by the Institute for Apprenticeships.
During your apprenticeship you'll learn:
- How to follow the company's rigorous health and safety standards, keeping yourself and other safe;
- How to work as part of a dedicated team focussed on ensuring our water quality stays at the highest level; and
- How to work with a wide range of equipment and systems.
What we're looking for:
We're looking for someone who's keen to gain hands on experience, develop practical skills and achieve the qualifications needed to really succeed in the role.
You'll have a dedicated mentor and manager who'll be on hand to support you every step of the way. All that we ask from you is that you're willing to learn, know how to work as part of a team and can manage your time and workload to get things done.
You'll also need to have 5 GCSEs or equivalent, grades A-C or grades 9-4, which must include Maths, English Language and a science or technology subject.
What you'll get from us
- Rewarding essentials there are lots of perks to the job, including a starting salary of £12,500 which will increase each year based on performance;
- Be the best you can be you'll get involved in all sorts of training and fun activities with your fellow apprentices;
- An environment to be proud of we're a responsible employer committed to developing our talented young people in state of the art facilities; and
- Be part of the family you'll have the chance to network, bond and learn from your colleagues and fellow apprentices.
*As long as you meet all necessary criteria throughout the programme
We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.