Are you interested in joining Howdens as an Apprentice Engineer? Howdens Joinery can offer you a fantastic opportunity to develop a rewarding career, with great earning potential where you will learn and develop new skills based at our Runcorn site in Cheshire.
We are looking for ambitious and motivated individuals who can demonstrate the potential to become an integral part of our business. Our culture is fast paced and entrepreneurial and as a Howdens Joinery employee there is an opportunity for real career progression and excellent benefits.
We have a successful track record of developing our people through the Howdens Joinery Apprenticeship Scheme where you will gain recognised skills and qualifications and be fully supported through mentoring and training.
This is a 4-year apprenticeship where you will be based at our training provider, Riverside College Halton, and will be based full time at the college during the first year of your apprenticeship.
- Year 1- You will learn the basics of engineering and will complete practical and theoretical training in mechanical, electrical and fluid power maintenance, the use of hand tools, CAD and general machining
- Year 2 -You will attend college on a day release basis continuing your underpinning knowledge alongside working at our manufacturing site in Runcorn where you will have the opportunity to work with key equipment and undertake practical learning across the site. This will support you in understanding the equipment you will be responsible for, build key relationships and learn from your colleagues. Alongside this you will continue to gather evidence for your L3 NVQ portfolio
- Year 3 -You will attend college on a day release basis and will continue your onsite training whilst working towards completing your qualifications and L3 Apprenticeship end point assessment
- Year 4 - On completion of your apprenticeship and end point assessment, you will gain a Level 3 Engineering Technician qualification in Mechatronics and complete year 1 of your HNC
What we're looking for:
- 5 predicted or achieved GCSE Grade 4 (or equivalent) or above, which must include Maths, English, Science & Technology
- A passion for engineering with natural problem-solving skills
- Confident communication skills, someone who is able to collaborate with colleagues across the engineering team
- A willingness to learn and develop your skills and knowledge
What we can offer you:
- Competitive apprenticeship salary and bonus after your first year
- A permanent role with Howdens upon successful completion of the apprenticeship
- Pension plan with core 6% employer contribution, further 2% matching available
- Exceptional training and development programme
- Apprentice community of over 600 apprentices across the UK
- Graduation ceremony on completion of programme
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays with the option to buy additional days
- Free lunch at our onsite restaurant and free onsite parking
- Exceptional reward and recognition events
Howdens is the UK's number one trade kitchen supplier providing thousands of products across kitchens, joinery, and hardware. We have over 800 depots throughout the UK and Europe - making us the first choice for more than 460,000 loyal trade professionals.
As a British manufacturer, we were founded on the principle that the business should be worthwhile for all concerned. That includes our customers, the homeowners they serve, the local communities we operate in, local and national charities, our large network of suppliers, our investors, and of course our people.
Our commitment to these areas has led to many accolades, which include being voted in the Top 25 Best Big Companies to work for by the Sunday Times in 2020. We also hold a Royal Warrant by Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen to supply goods and services to Royal Households since 2015. And in 2020, the Mintel group named us as the UK's number one supplier of trade kitchens