Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is recruiting Apprentice Civil Engineers to become part of our talented Sustainable Infrastructure team. Join our quest to unlock solutions to the world's most critical challenges
Wood has a long established and evolving business delivering environmental and engineering consultancy services and advice to clients within the UK and worldwide. Our work covers a broad range of sectors and clients such as water, waste, sustainable infrastructure , industr y and municipal . Y ou belong here
You will join an enthusiastic and supportive team and will experience a challenging and fulfilling working environment. From your first day, you will be given all the support you need to progress your career. Our apprenticeship s allow you to study for an academic qualification at a local university on day release whilst working and learning alongside respected, technical professionals. Support from a dedicated mentor will provide guidance through your personal and professional development and we actively encourage you to work towards your end point assessment and become professionally qualified .
Your work experiences and responsibilities will gradually increase through the duration of your apprenticeship programme as your technical knowledge and skills develop. Additional off the job training will be provided to give you the starter skills required to develop in your role, for example, health, safety and wellbeing, use of design and drafting software packages, CAD standards, report writing, basic surveying techniques, quality assurance and document control. What might you do in a typical week?
As an Apprentice, you will work within project teams helping to deliver effective and professional services on a variety o f water, wastewater and waste projects for a range of varied and high-profile clients. Typically, we see you w orking alongside project engineers in the development of engineering designs, who in turn will provide guidance, support and review to enable you to :
Skills / Qualifications What about qualifications and experience ?
- Provide increasing technical input and support to tasks including site surveys, analysing data , solution development and managing project tasks
- Produce engineering sketches and models using various 2D and 3D design tools including AutoCAD, Revit and Civil 3D
- I nput to the preparation of high quality outputs including technical notes, reports and drawings
- Become familiar with quality assurance systems and procedures to ensure they are being followed
You should have , or about to qualify with , one of the following qualifications :
- Level 3 civil engineering apprenticeship or
- Relevant BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering (Distinction Grade) or
- Minimum of 3 A levels (Grade B or above including Maths, Further Maths and/or Science)
No experience is necessary but we would like to know if you can demonstrate :
How can we support you?
- A positive and proactive approach
- Punctuality and reliability
- The ability to work on your own or within a team
- A willingness to apply yourself to a workplace environment
- A commitment to extending your learning
- A keen interest in problem solving
- An attention to detail
- A good level of computer literacy including MS Office
You will have access to our Developing Professional's Network (DPN) that brings together young professionals under the key themes of Connect, Learn and Grow. The DPN aim s:
- to promote networking opportunities with others around the globe as well as exposure to Wood leaders,
- to improve your knowledge of Wood's services and where the business is heading, and,
- to provide support to your personal and professional development.
Networking, participation in charity events, responding to business challenges from the leadership team, lunch and learn sessions , participation in STEM events and developing University and Institutional links are just some of the activities that take place.
If you have the right experience and skills and are keen to contribute to an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we would be pleased to hear from you. Whats the next step?
Please include a covering letter along with your CV
as part of your application - we will require this to progress your application. Your covering letter should explain:
- Why you want to work for Wood
- Why you want to become an engineer in your chosen field
- Any w ork experience / positions of responsibility - tell us about your experience s
- Your aims and ambitions for your career and how you plan to achieve them
Closing date for applications is 30/04/2022. We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found. Company Overview
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. Diversity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.